Thursley Summer Camp: 1930
Courtesy of Thursley History Society
Purchased by the Ministry of Defence in 1922, the site that became known as Tweedsmuir Camp was used by the British Army as a tented summer camp.
The tents shown are pitched along the eastern side of Thursley Road and behind them are the firs of Houndown. Directly above the words The Camp Thursley 1930 is a hedgerow lined canal, which we shall describe later. When, in 1941, the Royal Canadian Engineers constructed Tweedsmuir Camp most of the ground shown in the black and white photograph had been concreted over to create a maintenance garage, fuel depot, roadway system, turning circle, and parking facilities.
In the centre top right of the above picture is an oak tree that can still be seen growing today (see image to the right).