Rifle range

The labelled graphic below shows the general layout of the rifle range. It is not drawn to scale.

The second graphic, again not to scale, illustrates the overall dimensions of the rifle range.

This is the view of the rifle range from the shooting position. The yellow lines indicate the top edges of the two sand berm retaining walls, the red lines show the edges of the sloping pad immediately in front of the target, and the blue lines mark the base of the pad.

It is still possible to detect the shooting position even though it has not been used for over half a century. Over-hanging with Hazel catkins (long yellow flowers) and other vegetation it is possible to detect the shooting postion's entrance and exit in the bottom left hand corner of the photograph opposite.

The third photograph on this page shows the left hand sand berm retaining wall. Dimensions of the sand berm retaining walls are shown to the right above.

By removing a few millimetres of humus from the berm's surface, the sand that was deposited over 70 years ago is still clearly visible.

The red brick backstop shows signs of damage inflicted by stray bullets.

An entry in the Works Directorate Diary on 10 July 1941 indicates that 21,000 bricks were used in the construction of the backstop and that they were delivered from Hambledon (probably Nutbourne Brickworks Ltd, Vann Lane) over a period of 15 days. Nutbourne Brickworks Ltd was later renamed Nutbourne Works.

Covered by over 65 years of vegetative growth, the rifle range backstop is supported on its reverse side by 7 abutments that are spaced out at intervals of 3.2 metres.